Saturday, April 26, 2008

Paula, Please!

I was watching "Paula's Party" on the TV FoodNetwork last night.
I think raw oysters are one of nature's perfect foods. The only thing they ever need, in my humble opinion, are a dash of Tabasco, a squeeze of lemon juice, a saltine and an ice cold beer.
I think it is a waste of ingredients to build a bed of kosher salt and then cover already beautiful raw oysters with a mixture of cream cheese, fresh tarragon, and LUMP CRABMEAT! And then bake them! (As anyone with any sense knows, you better watch those bad boys carefully because if you're waiting for the cream cheese to get all oozy, your oysters are gonna toughen up. Tragedy.) For heaven's sake, is there any end to the indulgence? Now trust me, I'm as into indulging the senses as the next person (did ya see my new dishes?) but I think you can go a bit too far. Save the lump crabmeat for crabcakes or, perhaps, a perfect crab salad to be stuffed into a gorgeous fresh summer tomato--add some crusty bread, a lightly dressed green salad, and a glass of iced tea and welcome to heaven on earth.
I'm getting ready to go back to the Gulf Coast. My taste buds are there already. Goodbye, upstate New York, hello New Orleans!
Laissez les bon temps roulez.
Peace,
RevMutha

No comments: