Saturday, May 2, 2009

Personal Best

Okay. I've been kind of lame about posting. Sorry for that. I noticed that I did great in January, pretty good in February and March, and not so great in April. I'll work on it.
This morning, I achieved a personal best. I went to running training with my group. Our directions for today were to run 3-4 miles. Now y'all may remember that my goal at the beginning of all this was to be able to run 3 miles without stopping or dying. When it was time to run, the coach asked us how far we wanted to go. I said I was fine with three miles. Another woman said she thought she could go 4. The gentleman in the group said 3.25 was the farthest he'd gone so far. So the coach said that he wanted us to run 40 minutes without stopping and that that would probably be about 3.5 miles. I have never run 40 minutes without stopping. I have run 30 minutes without stopping and here I was being asked to run 33% longer than my longest running time. No music, no tv--just other people and God's creation on a beautiful Saturday morning. So I said "Here's the deal. I will commit to this. But I'm pretty sure that I'll be complaining bitterly for the last 15 minutes." My running buddies laughed.
I did it.
I ran 40 minutes without stopping.
Probably at least 3.5 miles.
I feel GOOD!
Peace,
RevMutha

No comments: