Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Snowflakes and Scuba Diving

Help me, Lord.
I saw the first snowflakes of the season today.
When I initially moved to this tundra some twelve plus years ago, the sight of snowflakes was exhilarating! I was raised on the Gulf Coast. Hurricanes, yes. Snow? Not so much. Now when I see snow I think "Ugh. Here we go again."
My reaction to hearing that a snowstorm is coming is not unlike my reaction to hurricane warnings: head to the grocery store and buy ingredients for chili and stock up on milk, bread, eggs, and toilet paper. (And maybe cheetos.) I make the chili, make sure we have batteries in the flashlights, and settle in with the kids and pets. We have a generator and my wonderful husband takes care of procuring the oil and gasoline it requires on account of it makes too much noise and has far too great a potential for exploding for me to touch.
Fortunately, the snow we have today will not likely accumulate so I have time to think distracting thoughts about things like scuba diving. Last February I went to Palau, Micronesia to scuba dive, and it was beautiful. Seeing the snowflakes just reminds me of how much I want to be in the warm waters of the Pacific ocean again watching sea turtles, eagle rays, fish of every shape and size, and sharks. So it's time for me to start doing some advance planning because looking forward to a dive trip helps me endure the winter. Anyone want to join me?
Peace,
RevMutha

No comments: