Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Nothing is written in stone


This is outside the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester, Vermont.
As I approach the triduum and am listening to altar guild members and parishioners and other clergy pontificate on how things "should" be done, I remind myself that life and liturgy are dynamic.
I also remind myself to be gracious and tread lightly around traditions. Many are beautiful and meaningful and sacred to my little parish.
Others, not so much.
Like the Easter Egg Hunt.
But I digress.
My favorite part of the Maundy Thursday service is the very end when I pour holy oil on our large wooden altar and rub and polish this beautiful, sacred fixture while my fabulous tenor music director sings "Were You There?" The church is dark, all the ornaments have been removed, and I feel like I am participating in a very ancient, very Awesome activity.
It's a tradition we began two years ago.
Now folks talk about it like we've done it forever.
I love that.
Peace,
RevMutha

No comments: