Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Knitting into the mystery of Lent

I had this nutty idea that I'd learn how to knit socks as a Lenten discipline. And I'm not giving up on this nutty idea. Yet. I still have 5 days to decide...
See, at the Lut-Episc retreat, there were all these knitting clergy chicks. I know lots of clergy chicks knit. I, myself, have knit a number of prayer shawls. (And they were all holey, holey shawls. I'm just sayin'..) But I've never undertaken a really difficult project like knitting socks. My dear friend, Julie, knits like a fiend and she's convinced I can do it. She offered to accompany me to the yarn store and get me started.
One of my many problems is that I get excited in yarn stores and start to think that I should buy lots of yarn. $67 later, I am the proud owner of 5 skinny bamboo double pointed sticks and three skeins of yarn that are supposed to make 2 socks each. Upon further reflection, I now realize that good stewardship wasn't part of this Lenten discipline decision. Darn.
Julie cast on the 64 stitches to begin the first sock. I'm supposed to knit-purl-knit-purl 10 rows and then continue to just knit for 7 inches.
But I'm running into major problems when it is time to begin with a purl stitch on the next needle.
So I've put it down for tonight. I will find someone tomorrow to give me some one on one help because the knitting books I looked at weren't helpful.
I'll keep y'all informed.
Peace,
RevMutha

1 comment:

musicdoc said...

I love knitting prayer shawls and scarves, etc. but I was never brave enough to try socks! I've looked at the directions in books several times and that's it, never get past that. I am in awe of your bravery! How'd it go?!?! Do you have any socks yet?!

I recently learned to purl and made a coin purse for my daughter which turned out pretty nice, that was quite an accomplishment, I thought. It was the first time I purled and first time I read a pattern. Wow!

I know a marine biologist who knits and is learning to do socks in a class he is taking. (Mostly before this he was knitting table runners, and rugs from hemp. They were very cool and I want to try knitting with the hemp yarn sometime.) I'm keeping an eye on the socks he is making. He knits while he waits on his wife to get off work. His wife is a fellow Case Manager, we work in the Mental Health dept. of the local VA Medical Center. She doesn't knit but she is a spiritual director. I keep trying to convince her knitting is a contemplative, spiritual kind of activity but she is not convinced. Anyway, keep knitting, I'll watch your blog to see how it's going.