Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Day After

I loved the yoga class.
The instructor was great. She encouraged all of us to go at our own rate and push ourselves when we were ready but the way she said it made me want to work harder. She reminded me of my trainer, Jenny, who gently challenged me--she made it more of an invitation than an obligation.
I think this is a translatable message in my parish. I want people to move into a deeper relationship with God and each other because that is what they are capable of doing. Yes, at first it can seem foreign and uncomfortable. But once you've been at it for a while, it becomes a life practice. I can't imagine a life without my faith. I can't imagine a life where I didn't value religious pluralism. Fundamentalism in just about any form scares the hell out of me.
I'm currently reading a great book called "Acts of Faith" by Eboo Patel (published by Beacon Press.) It is fantastic and I highly recommend it.
In the meantime, I'm checking the website for the yoga studio to see when Lindsay is teaching again.
Peace,
RevMutha

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I really liked "Acts of Faith". My good friend from NU works for Eboo, and she gave me a copy of the book when they were in DC to meet with the Obama administration :)