Thursday, April 9, 2009

Wednesday's Run

I ran late yesterday evening.
I noticed that there are a few places in the thirty minute run that I just have to push through. At about 8 minutes, I'm starting to get a bit tired but I tell myself I'm almost 1/3 of the way done. At 13 minutes I'm saying "Ugh! 17 more minutes to go!" And then at almost 20 minutes, I'm having to just say "Deal. Gift. Breathe. Healthy." I'm ready for the weather to be nicer so I can run outside but this week has been all about the mixed precip and strong winds. There were a couple of times in the run yesterday when I felt pretty good and it was mainly when I got into the music I was listening to or just let my mind think about other things. I did focus on my running being a gift to myself but there was an equally vocal part of myself that said she would prefer a spa gift certificate. Honestly, I crack myself up.
Honestly, however, there is nothing that feels as good as stretching after the run and knowing that I have met my goal for the day. That is probably when I feel most like a winner. Everyone should feel like this about something in their lives.
My shins were so sore last night! I took Rachel's advice and iced them and they feel better today. I'm glad today is a rest day. I'll run again tomorrow and on Saturday.
And, as always, gentle readers, I'll let y'all know how it goes!
Peace, love, and tranquility!
RevMutha

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Whenever I'm feeling like I just can't get through a run because I have to go so far, or so long, I try to break it up into smaller pieces. Sometimes, when I'm getting really desperate, I lie to myself and say "only 1 more mile" or "only to that corner up there" because once you get to that next barrier, you can definitely tough it out to the next one. Hope your shins are feeling better!