Monday, February 1, 2010

A different kind of yoga class

I wanted to go to a Foundations class today (in addition to the regular Open Level Power Vinyasa class I'll go to at 4 p.m. I know--I'm being ambitious. Credit 40 days.)
I had already had this instructor in a restorative class and an open level class and I like her. When I walked into the class, I could tell the yogis were of a slightly different ilk. Like maybe an adult retirement community.
God bless them. I didn't exactly get out of the class what I had hoped--I had hoped to get some individual instruction on doing shoulder stands or maybe coming into crow. But I think most of the instructor's energy was focused on praying that one of the gentlemen in the class didn't keel over. He moaned and let out "ARGH"s on each and every pose, including folding forward.
I admire that man. He didn't hold back. And he's in a yoga class even though he's probably well into his 70s. The instructor talked about the parallels in living a good life and having good balance. Having good balance and being aware of how your body moves is critical as we age. People get unsteady, fall, break hips, get pneumonia cause they can't move around, and boom! Welcome to heaven!
I'm looking forward to going back to Lyndsey's class in a little while. I'll get some good sweat going and breathe and FLOW.
Namaste,
RevMutha

No comments: