Monday, March 9, 2009

I tried

In the hotel in Houston. Today we fly to Palau! Our travel yesterday was uneventful and the only unfortunate thing was that we couldn't check our luggage through so we had to drag all the suitcases from the airport to the hotel and we'll have to take them all back this morning on the shuttle.
I set the alarm for 4:30 to go run on the treadmill in the fitness center which was just down the hall from our room. I didn't sleep well last night because I kept wondering if it was time to get up...
When the alarm went off, I got up, went into the little bathroom and turned on the coffee maker that I had set up last night. There was only one little pack of white imitation creamer and I knew my beloved husband would want that so I tried to drink the coffee black and eat part of a power bar. I put on my running shoes, got my ipod shuffle (along with the new sport headphones that my beloved got me which work GREAT!) and walked down the hall. Nobody else was there. CNN was on the TV so I turned that down and began to try to figure out the treadmill. It wasn't too hard and I did my five minutes of walking and then began my first time ever of running 30 minutes straight.
I tried.
Since it was my first time to do it, I didn't have a lot of markers. I knew the first 10 minutes would be tough. The music helped. But the next 10 minutes were tough, too!
I tried.
And, I'm thrilled to report, gentle readers,
I succeeded.
It liked to did me in, but I kept thinking about how glad I was going to be later that I didn't give up.
It was harder than I thought it would be but I believe it will get easier.
However, even if it doesn't get easier, I will just have to get tougher.
Grrrr.
(That's me embracing my tiger.)
Off to Palau.
Alii! (That's kind of like "aloha" in Palauan)
Peace,
RevMutha

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Yay!! When I read the beginning of your post, I was expecting you to say you tried, but it just didn't work out. I'm so happy for you that it was the opposite! Congrats on running 30 minutes without stopping for the first time! You have overcome a huge hurdle...where walking is not an option - that's a really difficult one for people to get over. Next stop - 5k!
In the meantime, enjoy running on the beach (or near the beach in the air conditioned fitness room) in Palau. I can't wait to hear all about it.

GrammyM said...

I'm with Rachel -- Yeah! And how wonderful that you not only tried that you did it! Your dedication, discipline and desire are impressive and inspiring. I can hardly wait to hear about your arrival in Palau. Prayers and love are coming your way.