Monday, March 2, 2009

Winning the Chili Cookoff

This past weekend was the Winterfest/food/fundraiser for my church community--all the churches pitched in together to raise money for our local food pantry, the Rochester Public Market, and Church World Services. I was asked to donate a pot of chili for the chili cook-off.
I love cooking. I love to cook for lots of people. So I was more than happy to oblige. And when I got the phone call saying my chili had won the cook-off, I was elated! I posted this on my facebook page and have had numerous requests for my recipe.
Alas, gentle readers, RevMutha doesn't normally use recipes.
A little bit of this and a whole lotta that...
Here are the ingredients in my cook-off winning chili. I believe the secret was cooking it in my crock pot all night long so that the ground beef almost dissolves and the flavors really develop...and I don't add the beans until a couple of hours before serving. So in the chili was:
Chopped onions, bell pepper, garlic
90% lean ground beef
Red Chili powder (from Indian food market)
Cumin (lots)
smoked salt (I make this in my cast iron skillet--liquid smoke and coarse sea salt)
Rotel tomatoes
crushed tomatoes
Tabasco sauce
2 bottles of beer
worcesteshire sauce
white beans, black beans, light kidney beans, dark kidney beans
and lots of love.
I think that's everything and it tasted mighty good.
But y'all can come over to my house and I'll fix it for you anytime.
Peace,
RevMutha

No comments: