Wednesday, February 18, 2009

to stretch or not to stretch?

That is the question.
Of course I know that one can't simply lace up the shoes and start running. Some warm up is completely necessary. I usually will walk at a fairly easy pace for 5 minutes and then sit down and trace the letters of the alphabet in the air with my toes to warm up my shins. And after I finish my running, I walk for an additional 5 minutes to cool down and then may or may not stretch.
My running trainer just sent me a video on line that says I should do light stretching before I begin running--quads, hamstrings, calves, and hips, and hold each stretch for 15-20 seconds. After the run I should stretch even longer. This makes sense to me and according to the trainers in the video, it should make me enjoy my running more (hey, any port in a storm...) so I'm gonna try this this afternoon and I'll let y'all know.
Bonus Movie Reviews!
I watched "Revolutionary Road" and "Milk" yesterday. Kate Winslett and Sean Penn were both amazing. I was a bit confused at the beginning of Revolutionary Road--if you see it you may know what I'm talking about. All in all a powerful movie. Milk was heartwrenching...what an amazing man Harvey Milk was!
I have to see 4 more films and then I'll be ready for Sunday Night!!!!
Peace,
RevMutha

No comments: