Saturday, February 28, 2009

Officially Registered!

For my 5k.
My apologies, gentle readers, for not keeping you as up to date this week on my running training. I have taken to going in to work a bit later on Wednesdays so that I can do my running in the mornings, which seems to fit my schedule a tad better. I did my Wednesday morning running (it went great) and then imposed ashes on folks at services at noon and 7 p.m. Beautiful and holy experiences...
Ran on Friday with my trainer who really pushed me to increase the speed during the running sections and then decrease it to the original running speed. It turns out that I actually do a bit better when I'm running faster--better stride and better breathing! Which is completely counter-intuitive to me but hey, she's my expert. And I finished week 8 training this morning. After a shower, I headed to an ecumenical winter food-fundraising-fest where I entered a pot of chili in a chili cook-off. I tied for first place! I was plenty excited about that! What's my secret? Cooking it all night in the crock pot so the flavors mellow and develop. I used Indian red chili pepper which gave it lots of heat, lean ground beef, onions, bell peppers, garlic, smoked salt, cumin (lots) jalapeno peppers, crushed tomatoes, some diced tomatoes, a couple of bottles of beer, and then in the morning I added four different types of canned beans (cannelini, black, light kidney, and dark kidney.) And, of course, tabasco. I also added some worcesteshire sauce to give another layer of flavor. Yum.
Tomorrow is a day off (which my shins will appreciate--they are a might tender today) and then on Monday I do my run 14 minutes-walk 1 minute-repeat twice training for next week. I think I might try to do this with music instead of watching tv while on the treadmill--my trainer says it'll go much easier.
I'll let y'all know!
One week from tomorrow I head back to Palau for a 2 week vacation with my beloved husband. We can hardly wait. And yes, I will be running in Palau. And hopefully blogging as well!
Peace,
RevMutha

No comments: