Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Rodents and Running

Had a good day of training yesterday-run 8 minutes, walk 2, repeat 3 times. I can definitely tell that my stamina is increasing, which is cool. This week I'll run Monday-Wednesday-Thursday-Saturday on account of I have to be out of town all day Friday.
So, gentle readers, You may be wondering what rodents have to do with running. For me, I appreciated the alliteration.
You see, my daughters have adopted two guinea pigs.
And the guinea pigs now reside in our home.
I have to admit, I let my daughters wear me down. But I blame their father (as any good mother would.) It all started when my beloved husband took our daughters to the pet store. And let them hold a hamster. And then we ended up having "Misty" the hamster. She lived 8 months. I had figured she'd last two weeks and let everyone know that the extent of my contact with the creature would be to preside at it's funeral. Misty was much loved by Lily. What Lily didn't so much love was cleaning out the hamster cage. Her dad was an incredible trooper and would help her do it but it didn't get done on a regular basis. Misty's demise was very difficult for Lily. Tears, drama, wailing, gnashing of teeth, consultation with the bishop (I'm not kidding--and the bishop was wonderfully kind and compassionate,) etc.
It has been a few months since Misty died. In a moment of weakness, my husband took the girls back to the pet store. Hannah decided it was her turn to have a pet. She wanted a guinea pig. The store was out of guinea pigs. My husband almost got them a rabbit but the manager (bless her dearly) told him that it was not a wise decision. He was put on the guinea pig waiting list. (Who knew there was such a thing?)
Industrious little Hannah got our nanny to look on-line at the pet adoption options. And the rest is history.
Lily's guinea pig bit her twice already. Turns out they were rescued by animal control. I hope the little dears can be rehabilitated. Guinea pigs gone wild. Can all the love in the world make up for past ill treatment? Can these guinea pigs be saved? Will this all end in heartache?
Pray, dear readers. Pray.
Peace,
RevMutha

No comments: