Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 4 of Personal Revolution

Okay, so I'm supposed to do 2 home yoga practices each week in addition to 4 studio practices. I was skeptical about if the home yoga practice would work for me. But, since I'm committed, I tried it.
Holy smokes, gentle reader! It was cool!
I had gotten a Baron Baptiste dvd with a 52 minute practice on it and was watching it on my laptop in my office after office hours yesterday. I found myself comparing my body to the women on the video and I didn't feel so great. And then I left the dvd in my office and got home and was ready to do my home practice and, well, oops.
Because the internet is so amazing, I went onto ITunes and was able to download some podcasts of Baptiste Power Vinyasa yoga, including some shorter practices and meditations. I just finished my first one and I am relaxed and inspired.
First, just hearing the woman's voice and instructions (Kinndli is her name) helped me to focus on myself and not another person. I already was familiar with almost every pose she asked me to do. I was able to relax, not worry about anyone else but myself, and really think about my breathing and posture. It was challenging but in a way that makes me look forward to doing it again.
But the best part was the savanyasa at the end. Kinndli talked about equanimity and being calm in the face of the storm. She said each transition to another yoga pose brings us to our edge and we can choose to face it with fear and worry or trust and calm. She said "The winds of grace are always ready to carry you, you just have to raise your sails."
Thank you, God, for lots of opportunities to learn.
Peace,
RevMutha

No comments: