Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Uniting good will in the universe

Is this possible?
Some of the yoga instructors talk about this right before we unite our energy in the room by inhaling together and then, on an exhale, saying (singing? chanting?) Ommmmmm.
I don't know if we unite good will or not. But I know that, if it's possible, then we need to try today to unite good will towards Haiti.
I'm the diocesan coordinator for Episcopal Relief and Development. The diocese of Haiti is part of our Province (Province 2.) Province 2 is made up of the dioceses of New York (Dio Long Island, Dio NY, Dio Albany, Dio Central NY, Dio Rochester, Dio Western NY,) New Jersey (Newark and NJ) the convocation of churches in Europe, The diocese of the US Virgin Islands, and Haiti. Right now, ER&D has established a fund specifically for Haiti relief. (www.er-d.org) Because we already have an Episcopal presence there, we just need to find out how we can best support them whether it's with actual supplies or just money.
My birthday girl daughter asked if, instead of spending money on gift bag favors for her friends at her birthday party, we could give the money to Haiti. I was really proud of her. And of course the answer is a resounding "YES!" Tonight we will write up notes that she will give to her friends explaining her decision.
I believe that Ommmms are important because they are intentional. It is a form of prayer. Specific prayers (the kind I'm more familiar with--with words) help me discern what my part is and how I can help. After Hurricane Katrina, I felt so helpless. I feel that way now. I put that feeling to work then and was able to raise $2500 which was put to good use buying supplies for a displaced family.
So now I also pray for discernment. And I pray for grace and generosity for anyone who can help our brothers and sisters in Haiti.
RevMutha

3 comments:

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

Just donated through Episcopal Relief and Development. Love you, Rachel

Rachel said...

Hmm...have to figure out how to change my comment name, because that's not right.