Saturday, January 16, 2010

Week 2 completed!

So, I'm about 33% revolved.
Although not so much because I had a rough week and a tough time staying calm in the face of this crazy storm, i.e., Haiti.
I was thinking about other big events that have become part of the world psyche just by one or two words: 9/11, Katrina, Indonesia, Haiti.
You remember where you where when the reality of what had happened began to hit you. Or maybe you don't--maybe you just remember kind of before and after...
I love that technology can connect people and responses have been so vast. Push some buttons on your cell and bam, you just donated $10. Click on a website and your donating is done. There, I've done my part!
And yes, I have done A part. I've at least done something. And as I tell my congregation ad nauseum, nobody has to do everything, but everybody needs to do something.
This one is huge. We had infrastructures in place when our tragedies happened (okay, well, it took a while in New Orleans and there is still lots to be done.) Haiti--not so much. You know things are bad then the former dictator is volunteering to come back and take control. I'm hoping other options emerge.
Like maybe some real honest albeit difficult assessment of how to do rebuild a country. And maybe we get a team of international folks that can trust each other and work with the Haitian people to work together, to bring the best of what we all have to the table using the generosity of the world coming together.
I don't know if it can be done.
In the meantime, we pray. Don't get caught up in the negative reporting of bad behavior of people under incredible stress. Hurt people hurt people. That's just how it is. But the faster the help arrives, the sooner the healing can begin.
I'm ready for a new week.
RevMutha

No comments: