Sunday, January 10, 2010

Yoga and Nutrition

At least 2 or 3 of the Lifestyle sessions will focus on nutrition. Next week we actually meet in the kitchen at Breathe (yoga studio.) I can't say I learned a bunch of new information today, with the exception that I didn't realize how important Omega 3's are--I got a bottle of the capsules so we'll see if I notice any differences after a couple of weeks of taking them. Cyndi (instructor) is the owner of the studio and has 20 yrs experience working with people with "disordered eating." She says that the problem for most people is that our bad habits get our metabolism out of whack. Instead of fueling the internal fires all day with small healthy meals, we tend to skip breakfast, eat quick (fast-unhealthy) food for lunch, and then by 5 or 6 p.m. we're starving and want to eat anything we can get our hands on. It's like putting a big wet log onto a fire and it slows down everything.
I've started drinking breakfast smoothies and have found that I do feel better. I use probiotic plain yogurt, a frozen banana, frozen strawberries, some protein powder, a little granola (for texture) and skim milk. Bam. Good and good for me. I also try to keep almonds and cashews on hand that I either eat raw or toast myself so that they don't have the salt/extra oil. I love veggies but getting my wonderful husband to incorporate them into the meals he prepares is a struggle. For him, he could live off of of grilled meat and rice a roni. Bless his heart. I love making big old salads with some type of protein on it for dinner. Or soup and salad. Last week, I made a delicious Martha Stewart recipe that used soba noodles, shitake mushrooms, garlic, ginger, scallions, chicken stock, lime juice and soy sauce. The entire family loved it. I also made taco salads one night with steamed broccoli, red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, ground turkey, black beans, just a few chips, some guacamole, and light sour cream. Yay! Keeping the foods interesting and nutritional is a challenge but I'm up to it.
So, a week dedicated to healthy eating. Viva la Revolution.
Peace,
RevMutha

No comments: