Tuesday, January 6, 2009

And so it begins

I don't do New Year's Resolutions on account of my oppositional disorder.
However, I'm regularly impressed by my beloved step-daughter and her commitment to running.
I have previously taken the stance that I will only run if I'm being actively pursued by something dangerous (and that's actually up for debate since experience has shown that I may drop to the ground, roll into a ball, and protect my vital organs...)
Anyway, I have recently been of the mind to set myself a fitness goal of being able to run 3 miles without stopping (or dying.) My beloved stepdaughter went on-line and printed me out some different beginner runner programs. Together, we went to a fabulous all-things-runner-related store called "Medved" and were helped by a very kind young woman named Sherry. Sherry is a runner. (duh.) Sherry is holding a clinic for beginning runners starting March 25 with the goal of completing the Lilac 5k race (actually 3.1 miles but I figure that's doable...) on May 17.
I'm not waiting until March 25 to begin my training. I'm beginning...drum roll....this afternoon! I've purchased my first pair of running shoes and my training this afternoon will last 30 minutes. I am instructed to eat 2 hours before I do my training and I feel it is very important to follow this instruction.
The running people suggested a power bar and piece of fruit. I'm thinking I'd prefer a cupcake.
I'll let y'all know how it goes.
RevMutha

No comments: