Tuesday, January 6, 2009

First day of training completed!

And I've realized that runners who also happen to be priests have to be flexible with their training schedules...seein' as how I had mapped out my afternoon in terms of going to the grocery store and getting the essentials (what do you mean we're out of milk, eggs and toilet paper? Ye Gods and little fishes!) including my power bars (or cupcakes, I hadn't decided yet) and then my phone rang to tell me one of my beloved parishioners, Bob, was not doing well...
Which meant that the grocery store trip was gonna be accomplished at breakneck speed so I could get to the nursing home and see how Bob was doing for myself. His daughter was there with him. They are quiet and introverted people. The nurse practitioner was delicately trying to explain to him that things were not going well and they were running out of treatment options. This information was met with wide eyed stares from Bob and daughter. I asked Bob if he believed he was going to get better and be able to get out of the nursing home and he looked right at me and said "yup."
So there you have it. I stayed a bit longer and then told Bob that I had set a goal for myself to run the Lilac 5k and he said "that's great!" and I told him I was going home to start my training and he said he'd see me later this week. God bless him.
I drank my water, rested a bit, and then put on my running shoes for the first time (other than when I tried them on.) For this first week of training, I run 2 minutes, walk 4 minutes, and repeat this 5 times for a total of 30 minutes.
Happy to report that I survived.
Tomorrow I have my regular workout with Tamithetrainer and on Thursday I run again.
Blessed Epiphany...
RevMutha

No comments: