Friday, January 16, 2009

Freezing!

My two little redheads did everything they could last night to ensure a snow-day today. They wore their pjs inside out and backwards. They put icecubes in all the toilets in the house. They put spoons under each of our bed pillows. They put their school planners in the freezer.
But, lest you worry about our upstate NY kids becoming wimps, let me just tell you, THERE WAS SCHOOL!!! Yep, it's -14 with the windchill but what's a little cold compared to a first rate education? So some of the kids lose their smaller digits and have their noses fall off because of frost-bite...Man-Up!
heh heh heh.
And, after all, it's Running Day! This afternoon I will do my running. Which both fills me with dread and maybe a teeny weeny bit of anticipation of feeling good afterwards...
I was talking with a great friend yesterday about the frustrations of parish ministry, especially when parishioners don't want to commit to anything and yet expect 100% commitment from me to them. They don't attend church, don't support us financially, and yet expect us to be there the minute they call with any kind of pastoral problem. (Yeah, God, I get it, welcome to Your world.) She had a great line: "Don't expect me to feign a level of intimacy to which you are not willing to commit."
She gets it.
I'm just sayin'.
RevMutha

No comments: